Lots has been written about the hazards of tanning and yes, lying out in the sunshine for hours on end with a low SPF will damage your skin and eyesight, not that we have to worry about sun when getting a tan anymore. No matter what time of the year it is we can still look bronzed, healthy and trim with sunless systems like spray color.
Different From Other Applications
Sprays are different from other sunless tanning systems like lotions, gels and mousses because apart from the solution there's no rubbing in or any other kind of touching the skin involved. When done well the result is a beautiful even color all over the sprayed body parts.
What Is It Made Of
The coloring substance used is called dihydroxyacetone or DHA. It's a cane sugar derivative that colors the epidermis, the outer layer of the skin, by interacting with the amino acids in the dead cells, and it is approved by the FDA. Because the tan is created just in the epidermis it doesn't last very long, our skin renews itself every 5 to 10 days, the skin cells are then replaced by a new layer. So a spray tan will last you around a week if you take good care of it.
Where To Get It Done
Spray tans can be done at home but blotchy orange home jobs are best avoided. In a salon there'll be two different options: a booth or an airbrush tan. Spray booths are a solo experience while an airbrush involves a technician. The choice really is one of personal preference.
Some Of The Drawbacks Are:
- It is rare but it doesn't happen, some people may have an allergic reaction to DHA. If unsure consult a dermatologist.
- The spray can cause breathing problems in those with sensitive lungs and/or breathing disorders. It is therefore advised to hold your breath for part of the session or wear a nose filter.
- It doesn't last for very long and can therefore be expensive.
On The Upside There Are The Following Positives:
- They are easily accessible all year round even when the sun isn't shining!
- There's a wide variety of choices available when it comes to tones. Always have a test done before choosing a final color though.
- In sunless tanning products the spray dries fast.
- They last longer than lotion or other sunless tans when looked after well.
- Just make sure you've exfoliated! Enjoy your tanning experience and your tan!